Part of why I enjoy being a surrogate is taking the time to educate others. I met a girlfriend at lunch yesterday who is interested in becoming a surrogate. I'm certainly no expert, but after three journeys, feel I have a good breadth of knowledge in the subject. At least from personal experience, I am able to answer a multitude of questions and give some guidance or direction. One of her questions was about telling her children and how they might take it. I told her to be honest, and depending on age, they would take away from the experience a little more as the time went along and they "saw Mom pregnant".
This morning, as I took Henry on our eight minute drive to school, he says, "Mom, what does it mean when your water breaks? what is the water?" Well, son.... {discussion ensued}. Wow, the questions that came from his mouth and the "ah-ha" moments were actually quite impressive. At one point he also said, "Weren't you bleeding quite a bit at the end with Sanna? I thought you were done being pregnant. Well, how did you con your doctor into letting you do this one more time?" I chuckled. For those that know the story, I was officially "done having babies" after Sanna. We all had that statement resonating in our ears, loud and clear. I had to correct him, however, and say that we didn't con anyone... and that we all went into this last journey with Dr. E's blessing {after further discussion about the why and the possible risks} and the belief that it will be a great pregnancy with a healthy baby at the end.
I knew that by my being a surrogate I would help to instill compassion and understanding in my sons' minds. It's become much more evident on this third and final journey that it has indeed sunk in for him... and someday he will pay it forward in his own way.
I am blessed.

Henry is such an extraordinary young man, the son of the most extraordinary woman. The best surrogate in the whole world!!! and universe too of course :)
ReplyDelete